A facelift is a surgical procedure that helps improve the ageing signs that occur on the face and neck area including:
- Deep lines under the eyes
- Sagging in the middle of the face
- Loose skin
- Loss of skin tone in the lower face area, resulting in jowls
- Deep creases alongside the nose and down to the corners of the mouth
- Sagging and wrinkling skin in the neck area
The typical rejuvenation procedures performed with a facelift are eyelid surgery and a browlift, these correct the sagging of the brows and help rejuvenate those ageing eyes.
Types of Facelifts
There are two types of facelifts: one is a full facelift, which includes the tightening of the skin, fat and muscles around the cheeks, chin and neck. The other is a mini facelift which also reduces pre partial facelift the sagging in the cheek, neck and chin area but at a relatively smaller scale.
Having a facelift is not a decision one makes overnight and starts a follow-up the next day. You must consider all options along with the pros and cons of a facelift. You should only consider having a facelift if you believe that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
People can be motivated by several reasons why they might want to undergo such a treatment and these treatments may impact one’s life immeasurably. Patients who undergo facelifts often report a boost in confidence which in turn leads them towards an improved and healthy lifestyle. There are both advantages and disadvantages associated with a facelift.
- In just one procedure, a facelift can improve many areas of the face.
- The results of a facelift can generally last for years; taking 10 to 15 years off of your facial appearance
- The facelift can re-contour the jawline and neck; reduce the signs of ageing, wrinkles and sagging skin in the face and neck.
- There will be some downtime associated with this procedure.
- Years after your facelift, depending on your age and skin you may need a second procedure.
- A facelift will not create an entirely new you but rather a younger version of yourself.
These are pros and cons that you should consider before having facelift surgery. There may be some risks linked to the surgical procedures of a facelift. However, you must always choose a surgeon who is qualified, experienced and particularly trained in performing facelift surgery like Dr Zurek Sydney.
Even though a facelift is associated with a long recovery period, bruising and scarring after the surgery, most patients are extremely happy with their results.